Table of Contents
A Friendly Way to Legalise!
For years, cannabis advocates across the country have fought a long and hard battle to bring cannabis legalisation to the forefront of public discussion.
If there was ever one true goal within the Australian cannabis community… it’s been to liberate the plant and its regular users – be they recreational or medicinal – from legal consequences… to decriminalise, bringing an end to the unjust punitive acts performed by the state; and to ultimately legalise production of the cannabis plant, whether in commercial or non-commercial form.
Cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) reliably provides benefits to human beings, and can be used to treat, salve or manage a wide diversity of health issues and disorders. The combined use of both THC and CBD can possess unique healing properties.
Rescheduling of Cannabidiol (CBD) & Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) would allow all Australians to become legal end users of the product – regardless of whether they have gained approval from the TGA’s Special Access Scheme for medicinal patients. A petition to address this matter is currently active on the Australian Parliament House website.
This petition asks the Australian House of Representatives to decriminalise and legalise Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD) at the federal level, by rescheduling cannabis as a ‘controlled substance’, from Schedule 8 to Schedule 3.
The aim of this petition is to make it legal to use, cultivate and possess marijuana for both medicinal and recreational purposes, while establishing the scaffolding for cannabis products to be widely bought, sold and produced in Australia.
The Petition’s Arguments
- The product that people purchase off the street can be low quality, tainted, unhealthy, mouldy, etc.
- Regular Australians are going to use cannabis to self-medicate, regardless of the overall safety and efficacy of ‘street cannabis’.
- Unregulated, black market products are not controlled under the paradigm of prohibition – if anything, they become the only viable option.
- Australia should sell tested, controlled, qualityTHC/CBD products to guarantee safety and efficacy of end product to users.
- Marijuana has demonstrable medical benefits, which is why it should be rescheduled – not outlawed.
- Prohibition has proven negative effects on society and the public.
- Decriminalisation would give Australians an opportunity to supply and manufacture quality cannabis products for domestic and international sales – competing in the global economy.
- Regulated cannabis products have proven to be a cleaner and safer option than the cannabis sold on the black market.
- Australia is in an excellent position to embrace the $20b+ market of recreational cannabis tourism.
How is the Petition Performing?
So far, this petition has gained over 9000 signatures! That’s pretty good for a federal government petition.
Unfortunately, for the Australian parliament to offer an official response, the matter needs to reach the magic number of 20,000 signatories by 11:59 AEST on the 1st of September, 2021… which means that we’re running out of time for this opportunity!
We only have a couple of days left – so, what are you waiting for? Don’t delay – sign this petition,and force the politicians of our country to answer for the poor policymaking that is prohibition. Be part of the rising tide of cannabis users demanding systemic change!